8.02.2008

.low swagga


i find that i am motivated to sew when people piss me off. so i was able to finish this dress thursday night, that i no longer love. i swear it always looks a lot better on paper! i can sit down and sketch out the cutest dress but for some reason, i always end up losing love for it. this might have something to do with my brother telling me i look like a kinky cop in this dress. he said all i need is a hat and handcuffs.

my goal for this life is to be featured in New York and/or L.A fashion week every year within the next 10 years. by my mid 30's, i'd like to have my own boutique. i figure i have to start off small with something like selling on eBay. i get so many messages through myspace and e-mail from people wanting me to make them stuff but i keep turning them down. there is a lack of confidence here that is so serious! when they say "you are you're own worse critic" they are absolutely right in my case! its not just my dislike for my ideas after a while. its also the fact that i'm not really a money person, so i'd put a price on this dress and have everyone screaming that my prices are too low. in the back of my mind i tell myself "you spent your time on making this, so why not put a higher price on it". everything that i make starts off as an idea that is sketches out on paper, and deeply analyzed. i look at my sketch and figure out how many pieces this garment will need. i draw out each piece, measure the body, and carefully put it together. this is something that i taught myself to do. with no school training and being able to do what i can, i can see why people scream on me about pricing. most of these ideas are trial and error. they come out great but i feel that it could be better. i guess with more time under my belt, i'll be combfort enough with my clothes to sell. for now i continue to fill up my closet and draw up new ideas.

10 comments:

Dave Van Buren said...

The dress looks fine to me. I think the kinky cop comment was more due to the color than anything.

My mom makes dresses for friends and family and usually only charges them for the fabric. You have to make a price that both you and your customer are comfortable with. They can think it's too low but if you think it's fair then there shouldn't be a problem.

brran1 said...

Keep working Chickie. The dress looks fine to me.

Rich Hippie said...

aw common i beleive you can do it, im kinda stuck in the same situation, but i belive you can do it work on it!!

Designer Qui said...

sounds like a good idea@ super dave

Taryn said...

the dress fits perfectly! I'm sure you will reach your goal.

I'm an aspiring fashion designer too but I don't enjoy sewing much at times.

I like your blog, I'm going to add you to my list if you don't mind.

Designer Qui said...

thank you! i love when i meet other designers! i'm going to add you too

Anonymous said...

Lack of confidence in a lot of aspects in my life is what holds me back from doing things i really want to do. I say fuck the world, and design what you want to design. If it turn out shit..who cares? you can always design another one! :)

Kira Aderne said...

wow!
you are really sexy!!
I love your outfit!
your blog is so cool!
thanks a lot for passing at mine,
let´s be in touch,
see you,

Kira

Eb the Celeb said...

OK... I need you to send that to me ASAP!

You got skills missy!

Designer Qui said...

thank you!